Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hahvahd Prof's Psychology of Dissing God

I'm trying this whole hyperlinking thing out.
If it works (and my reputation is based almost solely on whether it does) (special thanx to Bryan at St.O.Wa. for the html save), then click on that ugly thing and read what brilliance is coming outta Hahvahd U these days. I was reading some peripheral articles on ID vs. Evolution in Time Ragazine and stumbled across this prof's take on God.

Specifically (colored in UT Longhorn burnt orange to show my distaste):

The moral design of nature is as bungled as its engineering design. What twisted sadist would have invented a parasite that blinds millions of people or a gene that covers babies with excruciating blisters? To adapt a Yiddish expression about God: If an intelligent designer lived on Earth, people would break his windows.

What a blasphemous statement! Now, I know he doesn't say it to be mean, but think about it. God created this man and everything around him. Were he to bring this slanderous accusation before God, he would react like Job:

2"I know that you can do all things,
and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
3'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?'
Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
4'Hear, and I will speak;
I will question you, and you make it known to me.'
5I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear,
but now my eye sees you;
6therefore I despise myself,
and repent in dust and ashes" (Job 42, ESV).

You think you could do one better, sir? Why haven't you as yet? You do have the full resources of the Hahvahd Psych Dept at your disposal, do you not?
And as for whether people would break the Intelligent Designer's windows, what do you call the epidemic of sin and rebellion against a loving God that has been going on since the Fall and which you are furthering? It does remain on you, however, to prove that they are right to do so.

No comments: